By PensionsWeek Team
Reviewed by Rosemary Bointon
Looking for the Best Walker Glides? Then check out our US consumer’s bestselling walker ski glides for May 2021. Read about the pricing, reviews & more!
Research says that “death due to injury” is one of the top reasons for fatality in adults aged 65 and above. So, if you’re within this age range and already have fear of falling, you should find ways to enhance safety and mobility. Along this line, you’ll discover walker glides very useful.
Walker glides are one of the walker accessories available to ensure seniors safety and mobility while walking on various surfaces.
When you buy one of the Best Glides and Wheels for Walkers, it helps increase seniors independence whether they’re having a lovely time out with family or engaging in some house chores.
How We Found the Best Glides and Wheels for Walkers?
We’ve compiled our top picks by evaluating more than 30+ glides for walkers reviews. We have a team of editors who research, test and recommend the best-selling product. Also note that, even though the product evaluation has been done with few models, it is not possible to test all models that we have listed here. We only tested which were highly praised and rated amongst the others.
Our team has compared walker glides based on weight capacity, best manufacturers, frame materials as well as potential pros and cons with more than 200 + customer reviews, giving you a few great options to choose the top glides for seniors.
Best Walker Glides 2021 Comparison Table
5 Walkers glide Options for seniors
We understand that buying glides for walkers can be challenging—especially if it’s your first time buying.
That’s why we’ve decided to make the process easy for you; through this review—we looked at various options and picked the best rollator walker Glides in the market.
Our goal is to make the walker glide buying process as simple as possible. Check out what we found below
Best Overall - #1 Nova Medical Products Walker Glide Skis
If you’re with mild to moderate mobility challenges, the Nova Medical Walker Glide is the perfect product for you.
It will allow you to move faster when you’re walking with your walker. Due to the level of glide freedom they offer, it’s not appropriate for those who have severe mobility issues, but they are perfect for mild mobility issues.
The walker glides skis offer great stability and, therefore, reduce the risk of falling when using your walker. It contains nylon material that allows you to use them on all surfaces.
They also fit into almost all types of walker’s legs with the right diameter without needing tools.
You find it easy to clean, especially if you’re having difficulty bending down because you do not have to remove the tip to clean. The better news is that they do not often collect dirt and germs, so cleaning is only needed once in a while.
Watch a video On How to assemble Nova Walker Glides
What We Like
- Nova Medical Walker Glide attaches easily without needing any tool.
- Installs quickly and in a few minutes
- Installs over the tube almost all folding walkers and models with 11/8” tube shaft
- It’s made from long-lasting materials.
- They are designed for durability, strength, and maximum stability.
- Adds speed to mobility, stability, and style.
- Smoothly glides over jams, doors, and small barriers.
- Best walker glides for concrete as it works great on carpet or concrete surfaces
What We Don't Like
- The screw is made of outer layers that can cause damage to the laminated floor.
According to 6680 Amazon reviews, and other customer ratings on Walmart, Walgreens, eBay, and other third-party sites, people who have used these products are happy. Few users said that glides slip on laminate floors.
Best Tennis Ball - #2 Top Glides Precut Walker Tennis Ball Glides
These tennis balls walker glides allow seniors to glide over indoor surfaces lot easier and quickly.
Tennis balls might not be overly slick, but they provide the needed stability when walking, to a reasonable extent.
Therefore, to enhance the stability you’ll have, consider placing tennis balls on all four of your walker’s legs—that way, you would have reduced the possibility of sliding off too quickly.
However, you have the assurance that these balls will protect your floor—especially if made of wood—and will not scuff it even if your walker supports all your weight.
They are best used on indoor surfaces because they will speed up your movement on most indoor floor types.
There’s no guarantee of such enhanced performance when used outdoors. They get stuck to concrete and other similar surfaces; therefore, they are not the best for outdoor use.
Those with arthritis or limited arm strength may need help because the ball requires squeezing to install it on the walker’s legs. But, once you eventually get to fix them, they remain in place until there’s a need to replace them.
What We Like
- As the balls are pre-cut. So, there’s a reduced risk of injury as you try to fix them.
- Each pack of Top Glides Precut Walker Tennis Ball Glides come in pairs.
- They glide effectively on most surfaces—especially when used indoors.
- They represent style, stability, and mobility.
- They are ready to use. You only need to slide them in after purchase, and you’re good to go.
- Comes in colours of about fifteen different varieties. You can choose to match or mix the colours as you please.
What We Don't Like
- They wear out quickly, and you might need to buy them in many pairs for easy access when there’s a need for replacement.
- They have a low-efficiency level when used on the pavement and similar surfaces. That’s because they stick to the pavement surface.
- Requires pressure to install, making it difficult for seniors with little arm strength.
- You may need to open it up a little to fit foldable walkers with big legs.
According to 6654 customer reviews on Amazon, most of the reviews are positive. Some users found the glide very durable. However, few customers said that it’s a bit difficult to put the tennis ball on the walker.
Best Walker glides For Hardwood Floors - #3 Vive Walker Glides
Vive Walker Ski Glides is the walker glide for concrete options for people who have mild or moderate mobility issues.
Due to its velour covers and curved tips, these glides reduce the tripping risk and provide the right amount of stability. They easily fit into any walker’s feet.
The Vive walker skis provide protection and safety against any floor damage when walking, indoor and outdoor surfaces. Hence these glides are one of the best floor protectors for your walkers. They are heavyweight, well built, and extremely easy to install using screwdriver.
What We Like
- They guarantee excellent support and stability.
- They fit into any style of walker’s feet.
- Suitable for both outdoor and indoor use
- Made from durable and strong materials
- Designed with velour cover and curved tips to protect from any damages.
What We Don't Like
- It’s not the best glide for people with severe mobility issues.
- The velour cover is not designed to be anti-slip
Most reviews on Amazon and other third-party sites suggest that Vive walker ski glides are sturdy enough and are easy to install. It works well on hardwood floors as it has plastic on the bottom with a cover that protects wood floors from damage. However few users said that booties are difficult to get on ski glides
Best Walker Glides For Outdoor Use - #4 Drive Medical Ski Glide
Drive Medical ski glides will simply slide into your walker’s feet without needing tools.
Therefore, it’s made from durable materials and helps users get over uneven spots and cracks.
It glide smoothly over blacktop and sidewalks, making it suitable for outdoor use.
Each purchase offers one pair of Drive Medical Ski glide, so it’s ready to use walker accessory.
It’s compatible with most foldable walkers and they easily fit on the back leg of the walker to give the needed stability and mobility.
It quickly adapts to the environment you’re in by providing a flat smooth surface reaction regardless of its terrain. Therefore, it’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor walker activities.
It smoothly glides over the carpet, tiles, wood floor, etc., when you’re indoors, and when you’re outdoor, it also makes good friends with the concrete and other hard surfaces you’ll find outside.
The glide is one of the most durable walkers glides made of durable material that ensures long-lasting usage regardless of the variety of terrain and texture you walk on. You have an assurance of stability and mobility with the Drive Medical Ski Glides.
What We Like
- Increases senior mobility by allowing the walker to glide over surfaces both indoor and outdoor.
- It’s a free-tool installation walker accessory. After purchase, simply slide in the glide, and you’re ready to walk around with them.
- Slides into almost all kinds of walker’s feet and are most perfect for walkers with 11/8″ feet size.
- Most durable walker glides material and engineering design to ensure long-lasting performance.
- Allows you to glide smoothly and efficiently over almost all surfaces.
What We Don't Like
- The plastic part that fits into the walker’s feet isn’t quite strong and can snap off.
- The manufacturer assumes it’ll fit for all and didn’t make provision for return. So, they are not eligible for return if they don’t fit after purchase.
- Several customers complain that it’s made of hard materials that make it hard to slide it in the walker’s leg.
The vast majority of the Drive walker glides review postings had very good things to say about this product. Users said that the materials are of good quality and are reasonably priced. There were, however, a small group of customers who said it was a bit difficult to install glides and they had to use a hammer for it. Some users also said that drive walker glides size doesn’t fit to standard walkers
Best Glide For One-inch Walker Tube - #5 Sneaker Walker Glides
The Sneaker walker glides offer top-notch style.
It comes in three colors for you who will like to personalize your walker. Importantly, it comes with a flexible attachment mechanism; therefore, it easily slides into the bottom of the walker’s legs.
They will not go over the original walker feet, so they are a complete replacement option.
The Sneaker Walker Glide is best for indoor use. But, they may catch on the fibres if used on thick carpeting, thereby limiting mobility.
They are also suitable for outside surfaces because they allow smooth movement so far the surface is not bumpy or too porous. They are, therefore, ideal for seniors with varying needs. They aid fast action and provide stability, preventing the walker from sliding off.
What We Like
- It comes with a thoughtful design that eliminates the need to lift the walker.
- Its design also reduces the friction that rubber glides create.
- Made of high-density plastic materials and fit into walker’s legs with a 7/8 and 1-inch size
- It supports a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for seniors.
- They smoothly glide on most indoor floor surfaces.
- Installation is effortless because a single screw tightens them.
What We Don't Like
- Users say they wear unevenly; therefore, they can create an imbalance when such happens.
- On dense carpet fibre, they may catch and reduce mobility.
The majority of the Sneaker walker glide reviews were from happy customers who loved the product design and found it functional. Users said that they are easy to install, durable, and work well on any surfaces.
However, there were also some negative reviews from people who said that the sneaker rotates to sides instead of going forward and they found it hard to tighten them.
Things to Consider Before Buying Most Durable Walker Glides for elderly
You’ll notice that each product has its unique selling points; that’s why it can be confusing and challenging to decide the product to buy when considering Walker Glides for Seniors.
Therefore, it is essential to know the facts and factors to consider before buying a walker glide.
So, what are the things to consider in choosing one of the Best Walker Glides? See the list below:
The glide you choose should be universally compatible with most walker manufacturer designs.
In cases where the glide is good and fits all other needs, but you’re not sure it’ll work, check for the return eligibility. If it doesn’t have one, it’s best not to buy such a walker glide.
- Easy Installation
Also, ensure they can attach easily in all styles. It’s best to choose those glides with a no tool required installation feature.
- Indoor and Outdoor use
You sure want a glide; you can use on indoor and outdoor surfaces since walkers are designed to be used in both ways—the glides that go with your walker should also have such a feature.
What material makes up the composition of the glides? Ensure the glide composition is made of high-quality materials that can last longer and offer durability and reliability.
Amazon Best-Seller Walker Glides
Last update on 2022-01-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
People Also Ask
The only way to stop your walker from scratching the floor is to buy one of the Best Glides and Wheels for Walkers
and slip them over the feet of your walker. Make sure the glide is made of fine materials that won't also scratch your floor. Check out the list we created above.
Depending on the type of walker glide you purchased—some are a no-tool installation by design while some are not. Check out the type you bought and determine if you need a tool or not. Most of the walker Glides we suggested above are no-tool installation glides, so you only need to remove the original walker cap (if they are still on it) and slide the walker glide you bought into the hold at its feet.
Tennis balls designed to serve as walker glides are pre-cut so, what you need to do is find where they got cut and fix the leg of your walker to it while you apply force to push the leg into the hole. However, if you plan to convert a tennis ball to a walker glide, you might need to create the hole yourself using a hammer and nails or knife.
Walker glides provide better stability and traction for the walker. So, instead of having seniors lift their walkers—which might be too much to ask them to do—fixing a walker glide allows them to slide the walker instead of lifting it.
The walker glides come with different costs depending on the feature they offer. However, some of the best prices range from $7 to $20.
Are you thinking of the best mobility aid to provide an elderly one or yourself?
Walker glides are the best options because they offer strong mobility and grip.
To a great extent, they offer you the needed amount of stability and reduce the risk of falling while also helping elderly ones independently perform their daily functions.
We have suggested NOVA Medical as one of the best walker Glides you will find in the market based on the features they offer, the rating they have on Amazon, and the comments actual users gave about this amazon walker glide. We also mentioned what we like and don’t like about each product, go through them, and decide on the best suitable for your needs.
ABOUT PENSIONS WEEK
Pensions week focuses on sound retirement strategies making aging easier for the seniors. Here you will find resources from senior housing and safety to money, health, investment and care, etc that may help you gain clarity around your retirement.
You May Also Like
Last update on 2021-12-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API