Does Medicare Covers Walking Canes?

Does Medicare cover walking canes? The answer is yes.  Learn here about how you can claim for your reimbursement and the application process

Does Medicare walking canes

Image credit :  Pixabay


To determine whether Medicare will cover walking canes, you must first understand how Medicare works and what is included under its various parts.

Does Medicare Pay For Walking Canes in 2022?  

Yes, Medicare will cover the purchase of a cane or walker if used as a medical necessity, such as to aid in an injury or physical ailment. A physician must have prescribed the cane for Medicare to pay for it

The senior will require a doctor’s prescription and the Medicare number, and a few forms have to be submitted to the DME firm.

Seniors can get the best walking cane the same day, but the options are limited. So there are no special canes for women and men with advanced features that are covered by Medicare.

What are the Medicare walking Cane Coverage Requirements?

The following are Medicare’s rules for assessing whether or not a person is qualified for a walking cane.  

We collected the data from (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services), which may be viewed below.

  1. The beneficiary has a mobility impairment and cannot do other mobility-related activities of daily living (MRADL) such as toileting, feeding, clothing, and bathing.

  2. A cane or crutch can be used safely by the beneficiary.

  3. Using a cane or crutch is sufficient to compensate for the lack of functional mobility.

The cane or crutch will be denied if all of the criteria are not met.

Walking canes and walkers are recognized as durable medical equipment (DME) by Medicare and usually are covered under Medicare Part B benefits if you meet the criteria specified below.

  1. Medicare assignment must be accepted by your medical provider.

  2. Walking cane must be approved by your Doctor.

  3. You must be enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan or Part B of Medicare.

  4. Your supplier should accept Medicare assignment

What Is the Procedure For Medicare To Pay For Your Walking cane?

To get Medicare to pay for a walking cane, some tasks need to be completed. You will have to go through a medical exam and prove you can safely use the cane. Additionally, you must have your physician fill out a statement on the necessity of using the cane. Here is an overview of the process:

Step 1: The Doctor’s Examination

A doctor must examine you and determine whether or not you need a walking cane to maintain your physical health.

Step 2: Have the Doctor Fill out the Medical Necessity Statement

You will then need to have your physician fill out a medical necessity statement stating why you need the cane. The letter should list why you cannot do without it and how it will benefit your daily life, especially if you are older.

Step 3: Visit DME and  avail for the  Cost Of Cane

Finally, you will need to take your Doctor’s statement to the DME. Make sure the store you’re going to accepts Medicare. You’ll need to provide your insurance information to the DME, as well as fill out a few extra forms. If they approve then you may get the cost for your cane.

If you are wondering how to go about shopping for upright walkers for seniors, we’ve pulled together some of the best upright walkers for seniors to consider.


What is the Cost That Medicare Pays For A Walking cane?

Medicare covers 80% of the cost of a walking cane, and the seniors are responsible for the remaining 20%. 

Seniors with any insurance plans or Medicare replacement policies may use this to pay the remaining balance.

Medicare may pay between $25 and $30 for a standard walking cane, while Medicare may pay between $45.00 and $50 for a quad cane. This is why DME is unable to provide Walking canes with extra features.

If you are looking for walkers and need some guidance on popular walkers and their cost then check out different walkers costs of 2022

Types of walking canes

How often will Medicare Pay For A cane?

Medicare will replace your walker or walking canes with Medicare Part B every five years if it is worn out. If it is lost, stolen, or broken beyond repair, Medicare may replace it, but it will certainly require verification of the original coverage and purchase.

For More Info, you can read this document here:- Medicare.Gov 


Have you ever had any experience with Medicare covering the cost of a walking cane? What were your thoughts on the procedure? Please share your ideas in the comments.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *